good job on the site, guys.

 :: Friends :: Welcome

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxRok on December 16th 2009, 20:27

Dunno, show me what you've read, van. I made the conclusion on my own, a/an is put depending whether the first sound (not the letter) of the word following it is said as a consonant or a vowel. Now show me where it says I'm right! (again Wink)

And yeah, I agree, shame on you, Woc, hehehe

EDIT: thx ray :p
avatar
xRoHxRok
Foolish Recruiter
Foolish Recruiter

Number of posts : 1368
Age : 34
Location : Slovenia
Registration date : 2007-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxWoC on December 17th 2009, 00:41

English is more complicated than chinese on steroids, it consistently breaks its own rules. I was taught from a young age that an is put before all words starting with vowels (or the vowel sound as rok put it), that is why words like heuristic receive an an before it. But then comes the word helicopter, an helicopter, a helicopter hm....

Consonants on the other hand, except h, all receive a. e.g who put the motherfking snakes on the motherfking plane.

As you can see, that sentence has no U in it, and by the straw man equivalency, it is as stupid as not spelling honour with U.

I can consult english guru's for the proper articulation of the word preceding U in its definitive, I am playing golf with one such person on saturday.

For now however, A U and AN U stand as equals, like settlers with wet gun powder landing on the shores greeted by friendly natives, however my young ones, gun powder does dry; equality cannot last!

This is AN outrage, and probably over 9000 anyway
avatar
xRoHxWoC
Club Fighter
Club Fighter

Number of posts : 499
Age : 30
Location : Jungle
Registration date : 2007-08-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxVan on December 17th 2009, 00:57

Nice post, woc, seriously, I enjoy reading such ones from you.


However here's what I found and what made me change my mind and agree with rok:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/using-a-and-an-before-words/

The rule states that “a” should be used before words that begin with
consonants (e.g., b, c ,d) while “an” should be used before words that
begin with vowels (e.g., a,e,i). Notice, however, that the usage is
determined by the pronunciation and not by the spelling, as many people
wrongly assume.

You should say, therefore, “an hour” (because hour begins with a vowel sound) and “a history” (because history begins with a consonant sound).
Similarly you should say “a union” even if union begins with a “u.” That is because the pronunciation begins with “yu”, which is a consonant sound.


PS: There's not a single topic on this forum that we hadn't gone completely offtopic, is there? <3 you guys.
avatar
xRoHxVan
Foolish Recruiter
Foolish Recruiter

Number of posts : 2047
Age : 27
Location : Poland, B-B
Registration date : 2007-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxRok on December 17th 2009, 08:41

xRoHxWoC wrote:English is more complicated than chinese on steroids, it consistently breaks its own rules.

There's no language that doesn't brake it's own rules, chakk, wormi, van, darkmaul, uber, tooxie, ray, krezo, simpsons and shoppagirl can confirm that Smile Apart from ridiculous and unnecessary number of tenses, english is easy Don't let me start explaining the slovenian grammar, hehe.

xRoHxWoC wrote:...that is why words like heuristic receive an an
before it. But then comes the word helicopter, an helicopter, a
helicopter hm....

This is AN outrage, and probably over 9000 anyway

from wiktionary:

noun
heuristic

  1. A heuristic method
  2. The art of applying heuristic methods.
And it's A helicopter/roflcopter, hehe!
WoC, are you sure your mother language isn't afrikaans?
avatar
xRoHxRok
Foolish Recruiter
Foolish Recruiter

Number of posts : 1368
Age : 34
Location : Slovenia
Registration date : 2007-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxWoC on December 18th 2009, 00:41

xRoHxRok wrote:
from wiktionary:

noun
heuristic

  1. A heuristic method
  2. The art of applying heuristic methods.
And it's A helicopter/roflcopter, hehe!
WoC, are you sure your mother language isn't afrikaans?

The helicopter example was one of illustration, it is definitely a helicopter Happy.

hm, wiktionary lol. I would be interested to see what an authentic
oxford said for heuristic, as that one may depend on how the word is
pronounced Very Happy for now I'm sticking with an heuristic.
Secondly, just for lolz at how bad wiktionary is, it is explaining what
the word heuristic means while using the word heuristic in the xplanation Razz

Van has the nail on the head there, its about the vowel or consonant sound.
avatar
xRoHxWoC
Club Fighter
Club Fighter

Number of posts : 499
Age : 30
Location : Jungle
Registration date : 2007-08-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxRok on December 18th 2009, 08:53

xRoHxWoC wrote:Van has the nail on the head there, its about the vowel or consonant sound.

It was me who said it first, damn u WoC! Very Happy
avatar
xRoHxRok
Foolish Recruiter
Foolish Recruiter

Number of posts : 1368
Age : 34
Location : Slovenia
Registration date : 2007-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by Crok on December 29th 2009, 22:25

OMFG, enought ! I couldn`t even read the second half of page 2. So much b.s.
avatar
Crok

Number of posts : 14
Age : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxRok on December 30th 2009, 07:20

See, that's why you're not RoH Smile
avatar
xRoHxRok
Foolish Recruiter
Foolish Recruiter

Number of posts : 1368
Age : 34
Location : Slovenia
Registration date : 2007-10-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by Ray on December 30th 2009, 09:46

This topic is also going to be a classic one I think. x)

Ray

Number of posts : 538
Age : 26
Registration date : 2008-02-12

View user profile http://www.wormsarmageddon.hu/

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxVan on January 1st 2010, 18:30

Every topic on this forum is a classic one. Razz
avatar
xRoHxVan
Foolish Recruiter
Foolish Recruiter

Number of posts : 2047
Age : 27
Location : Poland, B-B
Registration date : 2007-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxWoC on January 6th 2010, 00:19

xRoHxRok wrote:See, that's why you're not RoH Smile

hehe word
avatar
xRoHxWoC
Club Fighter
Club Fighter

Number of posts : 499
Age : 30
Location : Jungle
Registration date : 2007-08-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by Crok on January 7th 2010, 08:21

xRoHxRok wrote:See, that's why you're not RoH Smile
I doubt it. Smile
avatar
Crok

Number of posts : 14
Age : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxcHAKKmAN on January 7th 2010, 23:07

You doubt that you are not RoH? o0

______________________________________________________________
mario0103987@hotmail.com: do you believe in pwnage?
avatar
xRoHxcHAKKmAN
Foolish Recruiter
Foolish Recruiter

Number of posts : 2296
Age : 39
Location : Germany, west coast. Yo.
Registration date : 2007-03-23

View user profile http://www.spass-mit-eselmutter.de DaBiggWobblinCockbreaka

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by Crok on January 17th 2010, 23:47

I doubt that`s the reason I`m not in RoH. xD
avatar
Crok

Number of posts : 14
Age : 26
Registration date : 2008-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxcHAKKmAN on January 18th 2010, 02:03

Crok-a-doodle Smile

______________________________________________________________
mario0103987@hotmail.com: do you believe in pwnage?
avatar
xRoHxcHAKKmAN
Foolish Recruiter
Foolish Recruiter

Number of posts : 2296
Age : 39
Location : Germany, west coast. Yo.
Registration date : 2007-03-23

View user profile http://www.spass-mit-eselmutter.de DaBiggWobblinCockbreaka

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxWormiverse on January 18th 2010, 02:04

Kæft med dine løjerligheder...

______________________________________________________________
Forever, and ever, you'll stay in my heart
and I will love you
Forever, and ever we never will part
Oh, how I'll love you
Together, forever, that's how it must be
To live without you
Would only mean heartbreak for me.




avatar
xRoHxWormiverse
Co-Leader
Co-Leader

Number of posts : 1383
Age : 26
Location : Denmark.
Registration date : 2007-03-25

View user profile http://www.lecker-fisse.dk/ wormiverse

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by xRoHxWoC on January 18th 2010, 22:12

xRoHxcHAKKmAN wrote:Crok-a-doodle Smile

I said crokadoodle doo before somewhere hm
avatar
xRoHxWoC
Club Fighter
Club Fighter

Number of posts : 499
Age : 30
Location : Jungle
Registration date : 2007-08-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: good job on the site, guys.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 :: Friends :: Welcome

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum